click on the menu
to reveal the arrow buttons and scroll to more pages

History

St Mary-le-Bow: A History

A limited-edition volume of historical essays on the church and parish of St Mary-le-Bow in the City of London is available now direct from the church.

Founded in or around 1080 as the London headquarters of the archbishops of Canterbury, the medieval church of St Mary-le-Bow survived three devastating collapses before being completely destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. Rebuilt by Sir Christopher Wren, it was destroyed once more in 1941 but was again rebuilt and re-consecrated in 1964.

 
  Topics covered in this 300-page volume include:

  + an overview of the church’s 925-year history
  + its status as the Archbishop of Canterbury’s principal 'London Peculiar'
  + the crypt
  + the medieval church
  + Bow Church: the wider context
  + the Reformation
  + the Court of Arches at St Mary-le-Bow
  + Wren's rebuilding of St Mary’s in the 1670s
  + Reforming Societies in the early 17th century
  + the church’s silver collection
  + the Boyle Lectures
  + links with Trinity Wall Street in New York City
  + rebuilding the church in the 19th century and after the Second World War
  + St Mary-le-Bow’s eight 'other parishes'
  + Bow Bells
  + the future.

  The Worshipful Company of Grocers has provided very welcome financial
  assistance for this project.

new book cover M