In the south west corner of St Mary-le-Bow stands a bust commemorating Admiral Arthur Phillip, founder of the settlement at Port Jackson (Sydney).
The text below the monument explains its history:
In honour of Admiral Arthur Phillip, Citizen of London, founder and first Governor of Australia. Baptized All Hallows Church Bread Street 1738. Entered the Royal Navy 1755 and died 31st August 1814.
'To his indomitable courage, prophetic vision, forbearance, faith, inspiration and wisdom was due the success of the First Settlement in Australia at Sydney on Saturday 26th January 1788'
This memorial originally erected at St Mildred's Church, Bread Street on 7th December 1932 was presented by the late Charles Cheers, Baron Wakefield of Hythe CBE LL.D. Alderman of the Ward of Bread Street, Lord Mayor of London 1915-1916
'To the citizens of London and the people of Australia as an enduring link between the Motherland and the Great Island Continent of Australia.'
The Church was destroyed by enemy action in 1941 but the bronze bust was salvaged from the ruins. The Memorial was restored and re-erected by the Britain - Australia Bicentennial Trust.
Unveiled by Alderman Sir Brian Jenkins GBE MA DSc, Lord Mayor of London 1991-92 and Alderman of the Ward of Cordwainer; dedicated by the Rt Revd and Rt Hon. Dr David Hope, Bishop of London on 23rd June 1992.
Chairman, the Admiral Phillip Memorial Trust & Alderman of the Ward of Bread Street.
Alderman and Sheriff Neil Young.
Chairman, The Britain - Australia Trust and the Order of Australia UK Europe.
Alderman Sir Peter Gadsden GBE, AC.
Rector of St Mary-le-Bow Church, the Revd Victor Stock AKC.
Deputy, Cordwainer Ward and Churchwarden, St Mary-le -Bow, Thomas Wilmot.
Admiral Arthur Phillip is commemorated annually with a service and wreathlaying on a convenient date near to Australia Day. St Mary-le-Bow also joins with the Britain-Australia Society in other appropriate celebrations, including a Carol service during Advent.
At the Admiral Arthur Phillip Commemoration service on the 27th January 2005, an ensign and plaque were also dedicated to the memory of the 5,488 men of the Royal Australian Air Force lost over Europe during the Second World War. The banner of the RAAF (right) hangs above the plaque.
The 'Australian Corner' at St Mary-le-Bow is completed by the banner (right), depicting the emblem of the Order of Australia, which hangs on the south wall, above an explanatory plaque. Both were dedicated on the 18th September 1990 by the Bishop of Fulham and the Duke of Kent.